Red is YouTube’s premium subscription that combines Music, Originals, & ads-free. It is a strategically important for YouTube because it diversifies revenue beyond ads.
- Launched a new premium home for Originals inside the YouTube app so that YouTube Originals look and feel different than other YouTube content.
- Repaired a fractured relationship between Marketing and UX to one of trust and collaboration.
- Created a review process to enforce marketing campaign quality. Feedback resulted in 40% CTR improvement and increased reliance on A/B testing rather than personal opinion.
- Grew the team from 2 to 6 people in 12 months. Manage 3 people.
Thousands of businesses and millions of people each day rely on Hangouts at work. Meet is a complete rethinking of Google’s video call experience on all platforms. It’s the first fully designed for business app that Google has launched.
- Developed the product vision and argued that Google needed a new product for businesses (Hangouts was focussed on consumers).
- The team rapidly prototyped and built a ‘trusted tester’ app (iOS, Android, Web, TV in 2 quarters) and released externally to ~10 customers. Feedback was very positive. This test convinced leadership to fund the project and shift focus to enterprise.
- Asked to move to Stockholm, Sweden, for 5 months (engineering team was in Stockholm) and launch the vision.
- Android, iOS, Web, TV, and proprietary hardware.
- Launched in March ‘17 at Google Cloud Next Conference in SF.
Chromebox for Meetings
Design Lead on Chromebox for Meetings, which brought Google’s own internal Hangouts-powered video conferencing hardware (my 20% project) to external customers.
- Customers and Googlers love CfM because it is so easy to use. Led all aspects of the design on this project; visited several customers to get feedback.
- CfM drove sales of Google Apps.
- Used by thousands of companies like Spotify, Yahoo, Dropbox, Netflix, Twitter, and Costco.
Hangouts On Air
Led the design of Hangouts On Air (the ability to broadcast your live Hangout on YouTube). Used by President Barack Obama (twice), The Muppets, Taylor Swift, politicians, celebrities, teachers, and many many more. Featured on Google.com homepage twice. First live streaming app from Google to launch worldwide (more countries than YouTube Live). I named it.
Launched Google Hangouts in 2011; sole designer. Widely celebrated as the most unique feature of Google+ with a very simple and easy to use UI. Used by hundreds of millions of people since launch.
- Redesigned the SayNow Phone app to simplify interaction while adding group calling, improved usability, and look & feel. Challenge was to design an interaction that lived inside a social network, was multi-modal, but also simple to use.
- Recreated the functionality of the SayNow Phone in a Chrome browser extension.
- Fully redesigned TripZen.com and doubled revenue-per-user in 3 months.
- Quickly adapted layouts and design based on A/B test data and analytics.
- Built an extensible HTML/CSS template for rapid deployment with 10+ partner sites.
Concordia University Wisconsin
Political Science Minor, Student Body President, Cum Laude (3.6 GPA), Dean’s List 2004, 2005, & 2008, Presidential Scholarship